Diploma in Counselling (Applied)
Understand how to apply a range of counselling theories in client-centred practice. Learn through role-plays and hands-on learning. Practise under clinical supervision. Benefit from supportive tutors who have worked in industry.
What you will learn
- Learn the different theoretical approaches that underpin effective counselling practice and demonstrate these under clinical supervision
- Understand social, political, cultural and economic contexts within a counselling situation
- Identify ethical issues specific to counselling at a beginning level
- Review your developing skill base in relation to client centered practice
- Demonstrate the skills of a reflective practitioner
& Community Services
Students will be required to engage in:
At a cost of between $80 - $120 per hour
- 8 hours of personal counselling in Year 1
- 8 hours of personal counselling in Year 2
At a cost of between $50 - $120 per hour
- 12 hours of professional supervision in Year 2
These costs are not included in the course fee and are paid to the agency/individual that provides this service.
The course meets some of the New Zealand Association of Counsellors criteria specified in the Practitioner Competencies for Counselling Workers in Aotearoa–New Zealand.
- School Guidance Counsellor
- Under 20
NCEA Level 3, including:
- Three subjects from the NZQA Approved Subjects list at Level 3, made up of 14 credits each
- Literacy - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of 5 credits in reading and 5 credits in writing
- Numeracy - 10 credits at Level 1 or above
You also need a few other things:
- Interview – to assess your suitability for the programme
- Curriculum vitae
- Two personal referees
- Personal statement and health declaration
- Police check (completed annually)
If you’re 20 years or over, contact us to see if you qualify for special admissions on our programmes.
What it will cost
This is an annual fee, which is reviewed each year. For part-time fees, contact a Student Advisor.
Student services fee: $220
Your student fee is included in your course fees. It is not billed separately. Amount shown is based on full year study. More details.
This programme is not available to international students.
Where will my course be?
Ready to enrol?
Applying online is easy and takes only about 10 minutes.
You will need a few details:
An email address you check regularly.
The phone number of someone willing to be your emergency contact.
Your date of residency if you are a permanent resident in NZ.
If you have your NZQA National Student Number and/or a WelTec Student ID it will help us process your application faster.