Learn carpentry in the workshop and on WelTec's building site. Build an actual house that is sold upon completion. Gain skills in framing, roofing, cladding, internal linings, fitting windows and hanging doors.
What you will learn
- Receive on-site work experience in timber framed construction
- Safely use carpentry hand tools and timber machining equipment
- Set up timber and metal scaffolds
- Interpret construction drawings and prepare quantity lists
- Learn first aid and how to apply safe work practices on construction sites
Further study options
For apprentices. Work towards becoming a qualified carpenter
- Under 20
- 10 credits NCEA Level 1 numeracy
- 10 credits NCEA Level 1 literacy
If you’re 20 years or over, contact us to see if you qualify for special admissions on our programmes.
What it will cost
In addition, you will need your own set of tools. A smartphone or tablet is required to access online learning resources.
Student services fee: $220
Compulsory fee, based on full time study. More details about how this fee is set and how you can input.
This programme is not available to international students.
Where will my course be?
Ready to enrol?
Applying online is easy and takes only about 10 minutes.
You will need a few details:
An email address you check regularly.
The phone number of someone willing to be your emergency contact.
Your date of residency if you are a permanent resident in NZ.
If you have your NZQA National Student Number and/or a WelTec Student ID it will help us process your application faster.
Documents and other details
- Offered by:
- School of Construction
- Offered by:
- Ngā whare tapu o Tane-mata-rau-kiri
- Formal programme title:
- New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills (Level 3) with strands in Allied Trades, Carpentry and Joinery
- Programme code: