Start your career as an electrician. Learn the skills and theory that an electrician needs in their daily work. This course will give you broad-based training in all aspects of the industry.
What you will learn
- Gain an understanding of electrical theory
- Learn use of test instruments and take measures
- Develop skills in freehand drawing
- Carry out domestic and commercial wiring
- Participate in wiring up a house
- Learn how to diagnose and fix faults
- Gain knowledge of basic metalwork
- Complete manual soldering and de-soldering procedures
- Practise gas and MIG welding
You could start work as an apprentice to a qualified electrician.
- Electrical Fitter
- Electronics Service Person
- Appliance Service Technician
Further study options
Build electrical engineering knowledge while working as an apprentice.
- Under 20
- NCEA level 1
If you’re 20 years or over, contact us to see if you qualify for special admissions on our programmes.
What it will cost
- Fee: $6,680
Student services fee: $220
Your student fee is included in your course fees. It is not billed separately. Amount shown is based on full year study. More details.
This programme is not available to international students.
Where will my course be?
Ready to enrol?
Applying online is easy and takes only about 10 minutes.
You will need a few details:
An email address you check regularly.
The phone number of someone willing to be your emergency contact.
Your date of residency if you are a permanent resident in NZ.
If you have your NZQA National Student Number and/or a WelTec Student ID it will help us process your application faster.
Documents and other details
- Offered by:
- School of Construction
- Offered by:
- Ngā whare tapu o Tane-mata-rau-kiri
- Formal programme title:
- New Zealand Certificate in Electrical Engineering Theory (Level 3)
- Programme code: