New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing
Be a caregiver or support worker. Get qualified in 20 weeks. Flexible learning. Work in hospitals and rest homes. Or help people be more independent. This programme is highly-regarded by industry and students have enjoyed great success finding jobs.
What you will learn
- Benefit from hands-on learning with a work placement
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of professional and ethical behaviour
- Understand and describe a person’s holistic health
- Learn important communication skills
- Learn from tutors who have worked in the field
- Help people be more independent
& Community Services
Specialise in health assistance to work in hospitals or areas such as personal care in rest homes. Or choose support work, ideal for work as a carer for those with an illness, disability or mental illness.
Health assistance strand
This strand will provide employment in environments such as hospitals and rest homes.
Support worker strand
Support those who need assistance in independent day to day living.
You’ll typically spend one day a week in the classroom. Plus you’ll put your skills into practice with 220 hours of supervised work experience. We’ll help you find a placement.
It’s flexible to help you fit the course around family and work commitments.
- Under 20
- 10 NCEA Level 1 credits in literacy
- 10 NCEA Level 1 credits in numeracy
- Or an academic qualification at least equivalent to the above
- Work experience agencies may require health checks before accepting the student on a work placement. These requirements are discussed with all potential students at their interview before acceptance onto the programme
- Applicants may have to undergo a police check for entry into this programme
If you’re 20 years or over, contact us to see if you qualify for special admissions on our programmes.
What it will cost
- Fee: $868
Student services fee: $220
Your student fee is included in your course fees. It is not billed separately. Amount shown is based on full year study. More details.
This programme is not available to international students.
Where will my course be?
Ready to enrol?
Applying online is easy and takes only about 10 minutes.
You will need a few details:
An email address you check regularly.
The phone number of someone willing to be your emergency contact.
Your date of residency if you are a permanent resident in NZ.
If you have your NZQA National Student Number and/or a WelTec Student ID it will help us process your application faster.
Documents and other details
- Offered by:
- School of Health and Social Services
- Offered by:
- Te Hau Tapu me te Puna Oranga
- Formal programme title:
- New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Level 3) (with strands in Health Assistance and Support Work)
- Programme code: