NZ Certificate in Cookery
Learn cookery in Petone. Gain the skills to work as an entry-level chef. Produce the basic dishes required in a commercial kitchen. Practise preparing, cooking and presenting dishes. Learn about nutrition and kitchen procedures for the industry. Serve customers in our Petone training restaurant.
What you will learn
- Apply fundamental cookery skills to prepare, cook and present a range of basic dishes, using commodities commonly used in industry
- Commercial kitchen procedures
- Develop knowledge of the importance of the nutrition and the effects that the cooking and storing of food has on nutritional value
- Health and safety - understand procedures required to receive and store food, prepare, cook and serve in a safe manner.
- Apply health and safety and security practices to ensure own safety and minimize potential hazards for customers
- Kitchen Assistant
Further study options
- Under 20
- 10 NCEA Level 1 literacy credits
- 10 NCEA Level 1 numeracy credits
- Or equivalent qualification
If you’re 20 years or over, contact us to see if you qualify for special admissions on our programmes.
What it will cost
- Fee: $3,300
Student services fee: $220
Compulsory fee, based on full time study. More details about how this fee is set and how you can input.
This programme is not available to international students.
Where will my course be?
Ready to enrol?
Applying online is easy and takes only about 10 minutes.
You will need a few details:
An email address you check regularly.
The phone number of someone willing to be your emergency contact.
Your date of residency if you are a permanent resident in NZ.
If you have your NZQA National Student Number and/or a WelTec Student ID it will help us process your application faster.
- Offered by:
- School of Hospitality
- Offered by:
- Te Kūmete nui o te Manaakitanga
- Formal programme title:
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 3)
- Programme code: