New Zealand Certificate in Animal Care
Learn how to care for a range of animals. Do work experience with Wellington SPCA. Gain knowledge and skills for the industry.
What you will learn
- Learn the correct care for cats, dogs and rabbits
- Techniques of animal handling
- Welfare, ethics and safe working practices
- Health and husbandry of companion animals
- Hygiene and zoonosis
- Work experience at Wellington SPCA
Please note, we are no longer accepting applications for 2016. Contact us today if you would like to discuss enrolling in 2017.
- Kennel/Cattery Assistant
- Pet Shop Employee
- Dog Daycare Worker
- Professional Pet Sitter
- Professional Dog Walker
Further study options
- Under 20
- NCEA Level 1, or equivalent gained through tertiary study. Or successful completion of Wellington Trades Academy HV4514 Certificate in Foundation Studies (Level 2) (Introductory Animal Care), or similar Wellington Trades Academy programme. Or relevant personal, practical, professional and/or educational experience, including literacy and numeracy competence equivalent to that specified above.
- All students will be required to complete a Criminal Declaration form
If you’re 20 years or over, contact us to see if you qualify for special admissions on our programmes. All students will be required to complete a Criminal Declaration form.
What it will cost
- Fee: $3,119
- Course related costs: $180
Student services fee: $220
Compulsory fee, based on full time study. More details about how this fee is set and how you can input.
This programme is not available to international students.
Where will my course be?
Ready to enrol?
Applying online is easy and takes only about 10 minutes.
You will need a few details:
An email address you check regularly.
The phone number of someone willing to be your emergency contact.
Your date of residency if you are a permanent resident in NZ.
If you have your NZQA National Student Number and/or a WelTec Student ID it will help us process your application faster.
Documents and other details
Additional Entry Criteria for Health and Social Services Programmes
Criminal Conviction Declaration Form
- Offered by:
- School of Health and Social Services
- Offered by:
- Te Hau Tapu me te Puna Oranga
- Formal programme title:
- New Zealand Certificate in Animal Care (Companion Animals) (Level 3)
- Programme code: