New Zealand Certificate in Animal Care
What you will learn
- Learn the correct care for cats, dogs and rabbits
- Techniques of animal handling
- Welfare, ethics and safe working practices
- Health and husbandry of companion animals
- Hygiene and zoonosis
- Work experience at Wellington SPCA
- Kennel/Cattery Assistant
- Pet Shop Employee
- Dog Daycare Worker
- Professional Pet Sitter
- Professional Dog Walker
Further study options
- Under 20
- NCEA Level 1, or equivalent gained through tertiary study. Or successful completion of Wellington Trades Academy HV4514 Certificate in Foundation Studies (Level 2) (Introductory Animal Care), or similar Wellington Trades Academy programme. Or relevant personal, practical, professional and/or educational experience, including literacy and numeracy competence equivalent to that specified above.
- All students will be required to complete a Criminal Declaration form
If you’re 20 years or over, contact us to see if you qualify for special admissions on our programmes. All students will be required to complete a Criminal Declaration form.
What it will cost
- Fee: $3,119
- Course related costs: $180
Student services fee: $220
Your student fee is included in your course fees. It is not billed separately. Amount shown is based on full year study. More details.
This programme is not available to international students.
Where will my course be?
Ready to enrol?
Applying online is easy and takes only about 10 minutes.
You will need a few details:
An email address you check regularly.
The phone number of someone willing to be your emergency contact.
Your date of residency if you are a permanent resident in NZ.
If you have your NZQA National Student Number and/or a WelTec Student ID it will help us process your application faster.
Documents and other details
- Offered by:
- School of Health and Social Services
- Offered by:
- Te Hau Tapu me te Puna Oranga
- Formal programme title:
- New Zealand Certificate in Animal Care (Companion Animals) (Level 3)
- Programme code: