Study and Career Preparation (Animal Care)
Considering the Veterinary Nursing profession? Prepare for tertiary study and build knowledge in Animal Care before pursuing higher qualifications. You’ll gain the learning skills and confidence you need to succeed in industry.
What you will learn
- Discover animal related career opportunities
- Hear from Veterinary Nurses, Practice Managers and other guest speakers
- Learn animal anatomy and body systems related to cats and dogs
- Gain an introduction to pet first-aid
- Cover selected animal health issues
- Learn to read animal respiration/ heart rate charts
- Perform calculations and analyse data related to the veterinary field
- Build customer service and record management skills
- Become familiar with animal care legislation, including welfare and professional conduct
- Challenge your perception on ethical issues, such as battery hen farming and hunting
- Develop academic writing skills
- Plan your career and develop a CV
- Prepare for workplace interviews
- Master time-management
You'll graduate with enhanced study and employment opportunities in the veterinary field.
Further study options
To make sure you qualify for programmes below, see entry criteria
- Under 20
- NCEA Level 2, or above
- Or relevant study/ work experience
Please note, this course does not guarantee entry into the New Zealand Certificate in Animal Technology (Level 5). See the webpage for entry criteria.
If you’re 20 years or over, contact us to see if you qualify for special admissions on our programmes.
What it will cost
- Fee: $2,579
Student services fee: $220
Your student fee is included in your course fees. It is not billed separately. Amount shown is based on full year study. More details.
This programme is not available to international students.
Where will my course be?
Ready to enrol?
Applying online is easy and takes only about 10 minutes.
You will need a few details:
An email address you check regularly.
The phone number of someone willing to be your emergency contact.
Your date of residency if you are a permanent resident in NZ.
If you have your NZQA National Student Number and/or a WelTec Student ID it will help us process your application faster.
Documents and other details
- Offered by:
- School of Health and Social Services
- Offered by:
- Te Hau Tapu me te Puna Oranga
- Formal programme title:
- New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 4) (Animal Care)
- Programme code: