Stay in school but learn new skills two days a week at Trades Academy. Earn NCEA credits. Fees free. Gain introductory skills to start working in the construction industry. Learn how to use hand and power tools, understand project planning and health and safety, painting, glazing, plumbing and roofing.
What you will learn
- Perform basic residential plumbing maintenance
- Draw simple patterns for, and cut and join sheet metal for plumbing and gasfitting components
- Perform basic residential and painting and decorating
- Select and install flexible cords
- Read and interpret plans and specifications for construction projects
- Plan, construct, monitor and quality check a non-consent timber framed utility building
- Use tools and equipment safely, and follow health and safety procedures in a workshop and building construction site.
- Class runs on Thursday and Friday from 9am - 2.30pm with a half hour lunch break
- Travel costs incurred are provided free
- Protective clothing and safety equipment will be provided if needed
- Normal school holidays apply
Further study options
- Under 20
Students must be enrolled in a secondary school in the Wellington region and must enrol in the Wellington Trades Academy through their secondary school.
You should have achieved at least 60 credits at NCEA Level 1, including the requirements for NCEA Level 1 literacy and numeracy (10 literacy credits and 10 numeracy credits).
What it will cost
- No study fees (other course related costs may still apply)
This programme is not available to international students.
Where will my course be?
Ready to enrol?
This programme requires a special enrolment process. Please refer to the documents section below for further information.
Documents and other details
- Offered by:
- School of Construction
- Offered by:
- Ngā whare tapu o Tane-mata-rau-kiri
- Formal programme title:
- Construction Trades
- Programme code: