Engineering and Automotive
Stay in school but learn new skills two days a week at Trades Academy. Earn NCEA credits. Fees free. You’ll learn all the theory and put it into practice on practical projects. Cover different areas from auto electrical to metal work and welding, steering and suspension to vehicle servicing, engine operation to wheels and tyres.
What you will learn
- Apply engineering industry fundamentals, including producing and interpreting basic engineering sketches, and using and maintaining engineering equipment and hand tools
- Operation of two and four stroke petrol and diesel engines
- Understand and apply automotive industry fundamentals, including automotive electrical principles, locations and functions of motor vehicle systems and components, interchanging and balancing road wheels and basic motor body repair work
- Understand new and emerging technology in the automotive industry
- Use safe practice and follow health and safety procedures in an engineering and automotive workshop.
- Perform service checks on a motor vehicle
- Class runs on Thursday and Friday from 9am - 2.30pm with a half hour lunch break
- Travel costs incurred are provided free
- Protective clothing and safety equipment will be provided if needed
- Normal school holidays apply
Further study options
- Under 20
Students must be enrolled in a secondary school in the Wellington region and must enrol in the Wellington Trades Academy through their secondary school.
You should have achieved at least 60 credits at NCEA Level 1, including the requirements for NCEA Level 1 literacy and numeracy (10 literacy credits and 10 numeracy credits).
What it will cost
- No study fees (other course related costs may still apply)
This programme is not available to international students.
Where will my course be?
Ready to enrol?
This programme requires a special enrolment process. Please refer to the documents section below for further information.
Documents and other details
- Offered by:
- School of Engineering
- Offered by:
- Te Kāhui Pūkenga o ngā Pūkaha
- Formal programme title:
- Engineering and Automotive
- Programme code: