Stay in school but learn new skills two days a week at Trades Academy. Earn NCEA credits. Fees free. Gain insights into the hospitality and tourism industry. Learn the art of making a good coffee and cooking skills that can be used in a café environment. You’ll learn about customer service and health and safety for the industry. Gain hands-on experience in our on-site training café, serving real customers.
What you will learn
- Customer service through practicing greeting and serving on real customers
- Food safety through demonstrating knowledge on how best to manage hazards and risks in a food preparation environment
- Gain knowledge on the tourism industry, and New Zealand as a destination
- Prepare to work in the Hospitality industry, with particular focus on beverage service
- Class runs on Thursday and Friday from 9am - 2.30pm with a half hour lunch break
- Travel costs incurred are provided free
- Protective clothing and safety equipment will be provided if needed
- Normal school holidays apply
Further study options
- Under 20
Students must be enrolled in a secondary school in the Wellington region and must enrol in the Wellington Trades Academy through their secondary school.
You should have achieved at least 60 credits at NCEA Level 1, including the requirements for NCEA Level 1 literacy and numeracy (10 literacy credits and 10 numeracy credits).
What it will cost
- No study fees (other course related costs may still apply)
This programme is not available to international students.
Where will my course be?
Ready to enrol?
This programme requires a special enrolment process. Please refer to the documents section below for further information.
Documents and other details
- Offered by:
- School of Hospitality
- Offered by:
- Te Kūmete nui o te Manaakitanga
- Formal programme title:
- Hospitality Services
- Programme code: