Stay in school but learn new skills two days a week at Trades Academy. Earn NCEA credits. Fees free. Learn basic culinary skills and methods of cookery, valuable front-of-house skills and knowledge. The course is very hands-on and you will gain the necessary skills to progress further in this industry.
What you will learn
- Basic cookery methods, including frying, baking, poaching and grilling
- Food preparation skills, including food safety methods, knife handling, preparing fruit and vegetables, and preparing and presenting sandwiches and salads for service
- How to apply safe working practices in a commercial kitchen
- Basic table service, including maintaining personal presentation and using communication skills suited to the hospitality industry
- How to prepare and present for service; hot non-alcoholic beverages, including pressed and filtered coffee and tea, and cold beverages
- Class runs on Thursday and Friday from 9am - 2.30pm with a half hour lunch break
- Travel costs incurred are provided free
- Protective clothing and safety equipment will be provided if needed
- Normal school holidays apply
Further study options
- Under 20
Students must be enrolled in a secondary school in the Wellington region and must enrol in the Wellington Trades Academy through their secondary school.
You should have achieved at least 60 credits at NCEA Level 1, including the requirements for NCEA Level 1 literacy and numeracy (10 literacy credits and 10 numeracy credits).
What it will cost
- No study fees (other course related costs may still apply)
This programme is not available to international students.
Where will my course be?
Ready to enrol?
This programme requires a special enrolment process. Please refer to the documents section below for further information.
Documents and other details
- Offered by:
- School of Hospitality
- Offered by:
- Te Kūmete nui o te Manaakitanga
- Formal programme title:
- Programme code: