Sport and Fitness
Stay in school but learn new skills two days a week at Trades Academy. Earn NCEA credits. Fees free. Learn how the fitness industry works and how to coach clients. Develop your knowledge of anatomy, nutrition and the correct use of gym equipment. Your study will be largely based in the gym. Master ropes courses, rock climbing and experience adventure based learning.
What you will learn
- How recreation activity contributes to personal and social development
- To apply your understanding of principles of nutrition to health
- Basic anatomy and its application to performance of sport skills
- The relationship of human anatomy and movement to gym equipment, static stretching and performance of sports skills
- Basic skills and rules at beginner level for a sport
- Sports coaching, the coaching environment and sport participants’ needs
- Health risk factors and disease, and how to monitor exercise stress
- How to demonstrate, instruct and monitor static stretching and use of exercise equipment
- Class runs on Thursday and Friday from 9am - 2.30pm with a half hour lunch break
- Travel costs incurred are provided free
- Protective clothing and safety equipment will be provided if needed
- Normal school holidays apply
Further study options
- Under 20
Students must be enrolled in a secondary school in the Wellington region and must enrol in the Wellington Trades Academy through their secondary school.
You should have achieved at least 60 credits at NCEA Level 1, including the requirements for NCEA Level 1 literacy and numeracy (10 literacy credits and 10 numeracy credits).
What it will cost
- No study fees (other course related costs may still apply)
This programme is not available to international students.
Where will my course be?
Ready to enrol?
This programme requires a special enrolment process. Please refer to the documents section below for further information.
Documents and other details
- Offered by:
- School of Creative Industries
- Offered by:
- Te Ranga Ahumahi o ngā Hāpori
- Formal programme title:
- Introduction to Sport and Fitness
- Programme code: